Advice on activating stops and pistons from console

This forum will help people to use the Jeux d'orgues sounbanks with their configuration.
RVBottomly
Advice on activating stops and pistons from console

Postby RVBottomly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:46 pm

I've taken a Baldwin Cinema II console and turned it into a MIDI instrument. I have been using it to play through MyOrgan, jOrgan, and Miditzer.

So far I've been able to have the 52 tabs on the console control stops in jOrgan and Miditzer, but I just can't figure out how to do it with MyOrgan/Grand Orgue.

The stop tabs trigger control change on/off messages through a Midibox. On jOrgan and Miditzer, after I figured out the codes and edited my sysex file, I can put a tab down and have the computer stop activate. When I lift it up, it deactivates. But with MyOrgan the best I can do is to get a stop to activate. It doesn't seem to recognize the "off" MIDI signal. The other thing is that when I go through different stops and use the "listen for event" function, I end up with one stop tab triggering multiple stops, even if I used a different stop tab for each stop in MyOrgan.

As for pistons, the problem seems to be assigned channels. All of my console pistons send program change signals through channel 1. I can assign each message to whatever piston I want. But when I try to get MyOrgan pistons beneath the great organ to listen for signals, the default is channel 2 and does not look like it can be changed (the font is shaded).

Of course, I could reload my sysex file with changes made to the channel in the Midibox, but then that messes up the configurations I already have for jOrgan and Miditzer.

I'm using the Stiehr-Mockers organ, and I like the sound a lot. I just wish I could control it through the console.

Is there any tutorial or information out there that can guide me through this? I'm starting to look at the stiehrextc30a file itself to see if I can rewrite parts of it. . . not that I'm a programmer, but, after building and configuring the Midibox and wiring the console, I delude myself in thinking I'm ready for almost anything.

But I'd rather know if there is an easy way to assign control change and program change messages to the various pistons and stops.

RVBottomly

Re: Advice on activating stops and pistons from console

Postby RVBottomly » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:32 am

OK, I found the info I needed by looking hard at the *.organ file. Pistons work fine, and I see that I need to use note values in an unused channel to get the stops to work.

I have to thank Jean-Paul Verpeaux for writing up the tutorial I saw on the Magel forum:

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:23 am

Hi there,
Glad to hear that you found the information that you needed.
Once you have set the MIDI channel for Stop Changes in the Settings -> Midi Messages panel, you can right click on a Stop on the GrandOrgue console, click on the 'Listen for event' button and then activate your stop controller to send it's Midi message. GrandOrgue should intercept the message and configure that Stop to be activated/deactivated by it.
If you need some more help with setting this up please let us know.

GrahamG

RVBottomly

Postby RVBottomly » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks, Graham. That sheds even a bit more light on the subject.

After looking over the organ definition file, I think I'm going to try to add expression to the Great as well. I was playing through (badly) a Franck Chorale last night and was amazed at the 8 foot sounds I was getting on the Great. This is really a remarkable program.

One thing, though, that mystifies me. Sometimes, and not consistently, all of the stops cancel while I'm playing. This only seems to occur when I am playing fairly thick passages with pedals and manuals. It never has happened with only the manuals.

If I hit a piston to restore the registration, I hear a cipher, which is confirmed by the screen showing a key being active (usually, but not always a pedal). I'm guessing that some sort of MIDI reset signal is being sent erroneously. Has anyone else experienced this?

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi there,
It sounds like your MIDI interface is picking up interferance from somewhere. You mention that you've used the MIDIbox boards to MIDIfy your console, what is your MIDI connection between the computer and the Core boards?
I have not experienced this behavior on my setup, but I (currenty) use two USB MIDI keyboards and a MIDIfied pedal board...

GrahamG

RVBottomly

Postby RVBottomly » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:25 pm

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi Vic,
Yes, I'm afraid the the MIDISport Uno is probably the cause of the cyphers. I use one, but it just handles the Korg midi piano signals with no Control Change (swell) midi messages to deal with. The MIDI 2x2 and 4x4 seem to be more robust and users are very happy with them.
MIDIbox now also have the new Core board which uses an Non-PIC CPU and has onboard USB... I don't have one, but am thinking that it might be a good thing to investigate so that I just need a USB cable from the Console to the computer ;)

GrahamG

RVBottomly

Postby RVBottomly » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:14 pm

That new MIDIbox Core sounds interesting. I saw reference to it on the Midibox site, but I didn't really understand the significance of it at the time.

But, 3 months ago I had never even heard of a PIC nor was I aware of MIDI codes. And now you have me thinking of building internal computers! :)

BTW, I'm also looking at what you've done with Linux. That's another area I've rarely looked into, but I feel it beckoning.

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi Vic,
That would be my next suggestion... to try Puppy Linux and see if the Linux driver for the UNO is more stable than the Windows one (although I think the limitations are 'on-chip'). :-)

If you need any help with that just let us know..
GrahamG

rmanzanog

Postby rmanzanog » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Hi there.

No Midi Interface Box is needed when using JOrgan or MyOrgan. After connecting 3 USB keyboard to computer and selecting Audio Settings, we have the 3 USB Audio Devices. When selecting anyone, the Advanced...square becomes available. Here an offset number must be entered (0,1,2) in order to avoid conflict. It works very nice.
Hauptwerk has not this facility and Merge Midi Box is necessary.
Sorry about my english.

Rene
Santiago /Chile

Return to “Help !”