Jeux d'orgues users !

This forum is dedicated to discussion concerning Jeux d'orgues, organ sounbanks and virtual organs in general.
CatOrg
Re: Jeux d'orgues users !

Postby CatOrg » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi all, I am Francois, french guy who studied organ and some more in Versailles, then BA of sacral music in Germany, worked as Kantor for years and now organist of the Cathedral of Bogotá, Colombia. Electronic organs were for me till now tabou, but at least as a practice organ, I can only say yes to myorgan and Stiehr-Mockers. Projected configuration, smthg like an old computer, two homemade manuals with the electronic of Casios CTK-2100 (they have usb, yeah), Pedal homemade (no problem with woodworking, but what a thing the calcs for a radial-concave BDO!) with Casio MA-150 (!) and no name interface, a good sound card, 2 good but not too expensive medium-high speakers, one homemade bass spk and homemade console. Well, I know I could make it much cheaper in using MIDI-Electronics for the keyboards and Pedal, buuuut there is no way to get this kind of special electronic in Colombia!!!

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Hi Francois,

Greetings from South Africa! It is great to hear some of your story.... welcome to the organ simulation / virtual pipe organ world for practicing :)

Now that you have the Stiehr Mockers organ playing on your system (Casio keyboards and custom pedal board), let us know what organ literature you're enjoying practicing on it. Please also tell us about the organ that you play in the Cathedral of Bogotá, Colombia...

I don't play professionally, but have a great time with the software. My partner is a the church organist (Dutch Reformed Church here in South Africa) and appreciates what I create for practicing at home too ;)

If you have any questions please let us know :)

Kind regards,
GrahamG

CatOrg

Postby CatOrg » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:11 am

Ahemm Graham, this will take a while before I can practice, migration on another computer, build the pedal (still waiting the pedals from my very slow cabinetmaker), but anyway I will report.
Literature? Well first practicing improvisation. Then the evergreens of organ music. Theres no organ culture here, so I must begin with the beginning.
The organ in the Cath. has nice material, but in very bad mood. Sampling it could be an idea, but I dont know where I get good enough microphones. Then I would have to find a way to transpose many samples for the not working pipes. It is a spanish organ who was martyrised in the 60s, but at least this would be documentation before the big restauration that must come. Theres no other sampling-worth instruments actually here, all need restauration.

L.Palo

Postby L.Palo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi!

To sample an organ you don't need to have the most expensive equipment, but you'll need to have patience! To replace faulty notes, fix them or retune them is normally no problem at all. So if you're interested in such a project there's lots of competence around here that can help. I've learned all I know about it from contacts here!

I've started to write a little about it on my webpage also, you can find some info here .

Kind regards

Lars P

Return to “General discussion”