Cavaillé-Coll organ : collaborative work

This forum is dedicated to discussion concerning Jeux d'orgues, organ sounbanks and virtual organs in general.
tremblant
Re: Cavaillé-Coll organ : collaborative work

Postby tremblant » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:04 pm

michel54

Postby michel54 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:47 am

Hi all of you
I am sorry for my poor english
I do not understand all what is wroten here, but I am living at few kilometers from Gerbéviller !!!...So what a surprise !!!
Where is this project ?

Pierre 1203

Postby Pierre 1203 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:18 pm

A question...
Is this instrument worth all those efforts?
After doing some research , it seems that almost nothing remains from Cavaille-Coll,it has just 42 notes for swell division and no independant pedal division...to me , it seems there is a lot to sample and as much to create...
But perhaps it sound nice...

Pierre

Pierre 1203

Postby Pierre 1203 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:41 am

Hi everybody,
I forgot to ad this:
I always promoted open sources, all my previous comments show that.
For me open sources are not necessarily free...So , Joseph and Graham, i wouldn'nt mind paying a fair price for any interesting , stable, sustained and good product.
Both of you already did a lot for VPO , and at some point , I think we all agree that basic things could be free, but if one wants more...there is aprice , so don,t feel ashamed about that.
But about projects and previous messages...I have something too say, something I was then hesitant to say...instead of talking about three eventual projects, sould''nt you bring one to birth first.
HW is succesfull for one main reason , they are focused. On the othe other hand, open sources and alikes, always full of momentary passion are so diluted and so diversified that nothing strong and concrete never florish. Like fireworks,
''l' espace d'un soir et d'un matin'', like roses, they bloom and vanish. leraving a soon forgotten perfume. I think you already know the already long list of failed attemps, the long list of ''coming soon'' and so...
We are all busy, and for most of us , VPO are just toys, but can anybody play seriously?
Hope nobody feels offended,
Pierre

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:37 am

Hi Pierre,
Nice discussion topic :-)
I don't know this instrument, so will have to trust those of you in France to decide whether or not it is a good organ to sample. My involvement can only come in once recordings have been made. There are significant differences between how Jo will record organs now to how he recorded the Stiehr Mockers. The Stiehr Mockers has only every third note recorded, and the samples are very short. As the original target was a SF2 file, this was wonderful. But this means that for the HW3 and the GrandOrgue version, the notes and wav files between the recorded notes have to be created by pitch changing those recorded notes. Then each note has to be looped individually, and tuned individually (as the tools available don't deal well with short notes, so we can't just write a batch file and have it all done). Jo did a recording of a couple of ranks of the Cavaille-Coll as a 'feasability' excercise, and it was a lot easier to loop and tune. My assumption is that it would take 1/4 of the work that the new Stiehr Mockers has taken to get a highly workable, worhty of release, HW3 and GrandOrgue version.
However, It is quite likely that nothing more will be done with this organ until the new HW3 and GrandOrgue versions of the Stiehr Mockers have been released. I know that my focus shifts from one project to another, and sometimes I 'take a break' from working on the Stiehr Mockers to create something else. Right now I haven't touched the retuning of the Positif for some weeks, because all my focus has been getting a updated version of GrandOrgue released (and my office work is hectic!). There are two organ consoles in the garage that are being MIDIfied, I got the Conn 650 completely stripped of the old parts this weekend, so it is ready to have the new MIDI boards soldered in during the next few weeks. We also purchased HW3 Basic edition this month, upgraded to Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10, and helped a bunch of people on the various online forums that we're part of :-)
As to charging for a sample set... I think that once a new sample set appears, Jo needs to ask for a minimum dontation. Part of the philosophy behind the jeuxdorgues1 and jeuxdorges2 was giving virtual pipe organ sample sets to people so that they could play with the wonderful sounds of the Pipe Organ. I would hope that future sample sets would be available to all, but that the policy of a minimum donation (or volunteer work on a new sample set, or some other 'giving' to the jeuxdorges community) would be supported.
I've said enough now :-) Thanks Joseph for a wonderful place to share!
GrahamG

michel54

Postby michel54 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi
The debate is interesting indeed
As a vice-president of an association which tried and could rebuilt an old pipe organ and which tried to organize concerts, I know that it is difficult to find money for our purpose....a pipe organ is expensive and need money for staying a good organ.....So the idea discussed here can be a response to the associations of organs's friends who try every day or month or year to maintain their organs !
So, if the VPO work as well as you say (I am trying to do one with "jeux d'orgues" but I didn't yet success...see another topic...), I am agree to pay for a "banque de sons", but reasonably (not like someone who demand more than 100 or 200 euros.....!!!!)

Concerning the Gerbeviller organ, according to a friend who is manufacturer of organ, 25% of this organ can be considered today as a Cavaillé Coll...but anyway, an organ, even if it is not a Cavaillé Coll, can be a magnificient organ. That is the case (for me).

Ghekorg7

Postby Ghekorg7 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:45 am

Hallo from Athens. :D

I'm willing to help as long as it takes with this organ, after samples are taken, do the loops ect in collaboration with Graham and all who wanna proceed with this Beauty.

I did a total new Oberhausbergen from Joseph's old samples, my previous version is already uploaded here by Joseph and now I have ready the latest version for jOrgan 311, Joseph will upload it soon. The organ sounds new and crystal clear.

So, as my experience allows, I'll agree with Graham's views and is possible for me to do the jOrgan version of this Historical Instrument. I'm excited, a free Cavaille-Coll !! even if it's not full Aristede's....

I'll leave commerce to commercials, I'll travel the free path, as all my jOrgan dispositions and other virtual stuff for other apps (Kontakt4/sfz/sf2/GO/linuxsampler) go. Donation, yes, is something else. There are people who wanna participate but they do not have the time, the means or the knowledge to. So they can donate what thhey like to keep this thing going.

So, Joseph, Graham, count me in !

Warm and beat regards
Panos 8-)

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:51 am

Hi Panos,

We are currently getting a Jean Andre Sillberman organ finished, then I hope that we'll be getting on with this wonderful organ. I will have a chat with Joseph and see what plans can be made for getting more recording done of the Ranks, then we can see where this will go.

Thanks!

GrahamG

sesquialt

Postby sesquialt » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Hello friends,

It's ok for me too.

I've got time, and I don't mind spending hours on editing hundreds of samples...

Don't hesitate ...

Denis

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:19 am

Just a quick update - the Jean Andre Silbermann sampleset should be finished in the next month or two (we hope for the end of the year). Then we can look at getting more recordings of this CC organ and start working on it. Thanks for the support :)

GrahamG

Return to “General discussion”