Beta2 Release of Stiehr-Mockers for HW3

This forum is dedicated to discussion concerning Jeux d'orgues, organ sounbanks and virtual organs in general.
ggoode_sa
Beta2 Release of Stiehr-Mockers for HW3

Postby ggoode_sa » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi Guys,
We decided that we would release all the work that has been done in the last few months of the Stiehr Mockers HW3 sample set. This will be a Beta2 release as we still want to do some more voicing work on the samples. That being said, this release should have much finer equal-temperament tuning than the first Beta, as well as proper stereo. There is also the addition of the Octav 8 in the Pedal, and a whole new 'Original' console view.
This is a view of the Original version of the console:

And this is the view of the Extended version of the console:

The wave files of the sample set are completely different to the original Beta release, so you can uninstall that version and then install this one.

The RAR download can be found here:
http://www.jeuxdorgues.com/media/jeuxdo ... ptwerk.rar

And, as this is releasing of Christmas day, we can call it a Christmas Test release :-) Merry Christmas everyone!

GrahamG and Joseph Basquin

(ps. I'm on holiday at the beach, so if I'm a little tardy in responding to questions and posts please forgive me)

mcjohnso

Re: Beta2 Release of Stiehr-Mockers for HW3

Postby mcjohnso » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:27 am

Graham and Joseph, When you said that you would have it by Christmas, you meant it. It is a great Christmas gift. I have downloaded the HW3 organ. I haven't exercised it thoroughly, but I practiced a few pieces with it & so far it is great. All of the problems in the previous test version seem to be fixed and the voicing is more consistent. I'll be trying it out more & will report any problems.

An observation: I did not uninstall the previous version before installing this one as I didn't want to lose some of my organ specific settings. Numerous MIDI switch input settings are peculiar to my setup and the way I had done them caused them to be instrument dependent. The settings survived the new installation. It seems as if HW3 completely reloaded the instrument samples anyway because the new disposition required some waveform resources that were not in the previous version, the Pedal Octave 8' in particular. The fact that some of the problems with ranks in the prior version are now fixed also suggests to me that I do have the new samples.

Thanks & Happy New Year!

Mark J.

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi Guys,
There has been a request for a 4' Reed in the Pedal, so I'm going to add a Clairon 4' to the Pedal for the final 1.0 release.

Then I'm thinking of creating an extended installer based on v1 with a 3 manual specification. Looking at other Stiehr-Mocker specifications (and some other French builders of that time period) it seems that there are some other options to consider as well (he he he, we could really get carried away with all of this!) :

We could posily add to the Grand Orgue or Positiv:
Quinte 2 2/3'
Sifflet 1' or Flageolet 1'
Flageolet 2'
Larigot 1 1/3'
Clairon 4'
Viole de gambe 16'
Gambe 8'
Gambe d'amour 4'
Salicet 4'

And possibly add to Pedal:
Quinte 5 1/3'
Violoncelle 8'
Contre-Basson 16'
Principal 16'

And then for the third manual have an Echo Division:
Bourdon 8'
Flute 4'
Cornet
Trompette 8' or Hautbois 8'

If we did a Recit for the thrid manual then we could add more stops to that manual. Comments? Advice? What do you like? Dislike?
GrahamG

mcjohnso

Postby mcjohnso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:33 am

What would be the sample source for all of these extra ranks? Would they be somehow derived from existing Stiehr-Mockers samples? I'm not sure all of them could be reasonably derived from the existing samples. The only thing I can think of that I find myself wishing this organ had, if it could be done staying in the character of the instrument, would be some kind of soft accompaniment stop on the great, perhaps a gemshorn. That would make more of the swell ranks usable as solo stops. I was initially going to suggest a dulciana, but that would probably not be appropriate on an instrument that is more German in character. If you do add an echo manual, I would ask for couplers to allow it to be a floating manual. --Mark J.

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:32 am

Hi Mark,
Yes, the existing ranks would be used (the wav files adjusted in pitch, amplitude, and EQ). This is already done in the Extended version with the Octave 8', Bombarde 16', and Subbass 32' of the Pedal division. All of the proposed ranks could be created from the tone pallet available.
A Dulciana is possible (as it is a Principal rank), the Gemshorn would be a little more difficult but might be worth a try.
GrahamG

timhoward

Postby timhoward » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:22 pm

mcjohnso

Postby mcjohnso » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:45 am

astazou

Postby astazou » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:09 pm

I've at last downloaded this week-end the latest beta, and I've started to use it in GrandOrgue 0.2 on linux (xubuntu 8.04).

It is a joy to play, far far better than the first version I was using as a daily practice organ.
I'm going to gladly switch to this new sample set.

With the short natural reverberation tail, I can even remove jack-rack and gverb.
On my small Dell Optiplex GX110, it is a huge improvement. No more of the deadly xruns that led jackd to kill the audio stream in grandorgue.
Still to be confirmed in the long run, but I haven't had a single incident during a 2-hour+++ non-stop practice session :P

ken2010

Postby ken2010 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi,

Installed and played perfectly first time ... however ... I can set the pistons OK and the settings work from my manual, but when I close down Hauptwerk and reopen, the piston settings are lost.

Ken

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi Ken,

This is a Hauptwerk setting that needs be configured... you basically need to tell Hauptwerk to load the last used set of combinations, then create your combinations, save them, and they should be there the next time you reload. So

1) In Hauptwerk, top Menu, click on Organ Settings -> General options. In the 'Combination set start-up mode' drop down select 'Load last-used combination set' and click on OK
2) Create your Combinations
3) Then click on 'Combinations -> Save combinations as...', then type a name for the combinations file and click on OK

Now close Hauptwerk, and re-start... and test.

If you still have problems you can do a search of the Hauptwerk forum as I'm sure there are better directions there than my quick ones ;)

Hope you come right,

GrahamG

Return to “General discussion”