GrandOrgue 0.2 Beta released for testing...

This forum is dedicated to discussion concerning Jeux d'orgues, organ sounbanks and virtual organs in general.
L.Palo
Re: GrandOrgue 0.2 Beta released for testing...

Postby L.Palo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:04 pm

Try for instance GO Montre 8 on the note d3 (the highest d). It gives me a loud click at the release.

EDIT: Actually I get a click on c3, d3 and g3 on Montre 8. Otherwise that stop works great.

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:29 pm

Yes, there are clicks, and they are present in the Windows as well as the Linux versions. For now you can edit the wave files and reposition the release phase if it is not set at a zero point. You should also completely fade out the very end of the sample as sometime the click is due to a slight bump at the end of the file.
GrahamG

L.Palo

Postby L.Palo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:33 pm

Thanks for the information! I didn't notice the clicks in the windows version through wine... and I've used it quite a lot! Maybe my ears have become more sensitive or something. Anyway, it's good to know what to try to make the samples better. I'm in the process of making a test sampleset myself of a little organ in our funeral chapel. If this is somewhat successful, I'll try my hands at the great organ (3 manuals and pedal, 33 stops) in the church where I work.

Kind regards

Lars P

L.Palo

Postby L.Palo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:58 pm

A million thanks again Graham! You were right in every detail. Edited the wavs according to your tips and it works great!

I wonder if I should document what changes are necessary for jeux, or is there a plan for a new release with the clicking wavs corrected that someone already have done?

Another thing you maybe already noticed is that the transpose buttons is outside the window if the window size is smaller than that of GrandOrgues starting screen. Maybe it would be better to either allow window resize or make the groups/icons in the menubar be fluid so that they can occupy two lines if needed.

But generally so far it looks great! Very promising to say the least! I'll keep playing with it and report whatever findings I make.

/Lars

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:44 am

Hi Lars,
Perhaps you could let other users know what you did in the interim. We are working on a new release of the Stiehr Mockers sample set (remastered, relooped, and with more of the orignal reverb included), but it will likely not be ready until the end of Dec or some time in the new year... Of course, people could also volunteer to help with the updated sample set - we're at the final 'tuning each note to concert pitch' phase, which is time consuming and laborious :-)
Have fun!
GrahamG

L.Palo

Postby L.Palo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:11 am

Hi Graham!

As usual, you're right. After carefully played through every stop I've come up with a long list of wavs needing corrections just for the release. I also found many in need of relooping, and also quite a few with clicking noises at the start of the sample (not coming from the action itself). So, to get a good sampleset for GrandOrgue, one should really get a new release of Jeux2. It's really good news, hearing that there is a plan for that!

For sound editing I've used Audacity (only for preprocessing), Wavosaur (through wine) and SampleLooper (in a virtual machine with WinXP ... :oops:, it's the last remains of my previous windows life). If I could be of any help to the project I'll gladly put my little knowledge to work!

Kind regards

Lars

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:18 am

Hi Lars,
The released HW3 Beta sample set has the updated samples. It should be possible to download that RAR, decompress it, and then copy the .organ file into the folder with the sample directories. I haven't tested it with this version of GrandOrgue yet, so would be interested to hear if others can get it working and what it sound like...
GrahamG

L.Palo

Postby L.Palo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:28 am

Hi!

This will need a modification in the .organ file for the changed names of the wav files, but I will try it out!

/Lars

L.Palo

Postby L.Palo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi!

Here comes an edited .organ file that should work without any modifications of foldernames or wav names.
stiehrextc30a.organ.zip
(9.05KiB)Downloaded 655 times

I've tried it with GrandOrgue and there are much less problems with it. Still a few clicks in the releases of some notes, the problems mentioned in the thread about the HW3 version, and also I think that g3 (the highest g) of GODoublette is off to some other interval, or at least there is a very prominent overtone in that sample... But it's much less work to get this to a good state!

PS. I didn't extend the manual compass in the .organ file above...

EDIT: actually the tuning of several notes in the treble of GODoublette is off a little.

Kind regards

Lars

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:03 am

Hi Guys,
We have discovered one major issue with GrandOrgue working in Linux:

"Many consumer audio interfaces support only 1 sample rate (48kHz).
When JACK used to fail to start if the user asked for 44.1kHz and the
device did not support it, users howled. So we changed it so that it
picks the closest available rate. Qjackctl displays the rate that was
obtained."

As GrandOrgue requires a sample rate of 44.1khz, it is not able to recognize Jack running at 48khz (if Jack can't run at 44.1khz it will automatically try 48khz and configure itself to that sample rate because of the issue quoted above).

There is a proposed solution that I have working on my own computer, GrandOrgue48. A version of GrandOrgue that will run at 48khz, but it also requires sample sets to be 48khz. I have not yet worked out a way to differentiate between the sample rate of the wave files and the sample rate of the audio stream that plays. So, for now, GrandOrgue48 will require that your sample sets are converted from 44.1khz to 48khz before you can load them.

GrandOrgue48 is not yet ready for release, but if you have the same issue that is reported here please let me know and you can become an Alpha Tester of GrandOrgue48 :-)

GrahamG

Return to “General discussion”