First time here.

This forum is dedicated to discussion concerning Jeux d'orgues, organ sounbanks and virtual organs in general.
Wampamick
First time here.

Postby Wampamick » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:36 pm

Hello to all.

The forum is nice effort. Looking forward to contribute to it.

Bye.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Wampamick on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ggoode_sa

Re: First time here.

Postby ggoode_sa » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:02 am

Hi there and welcome to the forum!
Could you tell us a little more about yourself, and what version of jeuxdorgues you're using (soundfont, MyOrgan/GrandOrgue, etc).
GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa
Using jeuxdorgues 2 in SF2, LinuxSampler, GrandOrgue, and HW3 :-)

dgwatts

Postby dgwatts » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:09 pm

Hello friends,
I'm delighted to find Jeux d'Orgues and this wonderful community of accomplished musicians/programmers.

I studied music composition and African music and dance at the University of California at Berkeley aeons ago, and ever since have been looking into the opportunity of blending the rhythmic beauties of traditional African music with the tonal beauties of the European aesthetic. After thirty years of experimentation, mental probing, and gathering ideas while trying to put food on the table for my family, I've finally come to a place where I have time to delve deeply into the issue, while using up some of my 401k, and hopefully bring out some results before I'm dead. :lol:

I'm neither an organist nor a programmer. The way I came across Jeux d'Orgues was in searching for decent organ sounds for playback of my Sibelius 6 files. I had a heck of a time accomplishing this, spending all of one day trying to download free samples. When the dust settled, I dragged everything that looked like it might work, including RGC Audio's sfz soundfont player and jeuxdorgues2_vst and jeuxdorgues21, into the "VST Plug-ins" folder of Sibelius, opened up a file, and went into the "Playback Devices" pages to see what it might look like.

Juexdorgues2_vst and jeuzdorgues21 were showing up in the "Available Devices" column, along with sfz, but I couldn't get them to load and work. But interestingly, there was another presence under "Available Devices" for which I had no accounting, not remembering having ever seen or downloading it: VSTOrgel-SynthEdit. Scratching my head as to how it got there, I tried it and it loaded and worked perfectly the first time, and I was floored by the quality of the sound. This is going to sound dumb, but I actually cried a little bit, hearing my music, some of which I'd been carrying in my head for twenty years, realized for the first time on a good organ.

My devout thanks go out to Joseph and Steven for bringing this magic to my life. You are my Plato and my Mozart. Graham, you rank right up there with them, right up there with one of J.S. Bach's brothers, or cousins, or whoever the hell they were! :lol:

I'll probably be contributing to the VSTOrgel-SynthEdit conversation as we go along, and asking dumb questions.

Warm regards,
dan
scottsdale, az

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:29 am

Hi Dan,
Welcome to the Jeuxdorgues Forum :D

I'm really glad that you got one of the VSTs working well with your system. Do you play the Organ at all (I know you've said that you are not an organist... but you might just play some for yourself)? Do you have MIDI keyboards? Virtual Pipe Organs are a great technology, and the Stiehr Mockers sample set is one of the best free sample sets available.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, and have fun!
GrahamG

dgwatts

Postby dgwatts » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Graham,
Thank you so much for you cordial welcome. I loved Chopin in my college years, and got to where I could almost haltingly play his Prelude in A flat major, one of the loveliest melodies ever written I believe.
After marrying and settling down, I rented a cheap organ with one manual and an octave of footpedals, and tried to play hymns and some JS Bach on it every day. I got to where I could haltingly get through Sheep May Safely Graze, another incredibly beautiful and emotionally powerful piece.
I tried being the substitute Sunday School organist, but I have such severe stage fright that I seem to loose motor control of my limbs and appendages. :oops:
The only MIDI keyboard I have at present is a Roland Midi Controller PCR-300, with thirty-two keys. I would love to get back into organ playing though, especially with this wonderful emerging technology.
I have a fairly new e-machines pc with a 2GHz Intel Dual Core E2180 processor and 2Gb RAM. If it didn't cost an arm and a leg, I would love to get back up and running. Perhaps you could recommend a basic set-up of foot pedals, one additional manual, and software. I read your post about a Linux freeware platform, does that work on a pc? I'm working with limited funds.
My real focus right now is getting out a CD of about twelve sacred songs which utilize, to varying degrees, African rhythms. I would love to use jeuxdorgues sounds on the CD, and will be asking Joseph permission to do so. I suppose that you, being in South Africa, have come across this sort of thing, church music in the African mode?

Thanks again for your kindness,
dan

Return to “General discussion”