New version for Hauptwerk 3 !

This forum is dedicated to discussion concerning Jeux d'orgues, organ sounbanks and virtual organs in general.
tremblant
Re: New version for Hauptwerk 3 !

Postby tremblant » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:33 pm

merci pour cette version pour HW3 :D

L.Palo

Postby L.Palo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:11 pm

I've been able to run HW3 in wine (latest version from wine HQ) on Linux (ubuntu 9.04) but unfortunately the program handles USB connected devices badly. In their own forum they have documented the problem (that keys are sticking, notes hanging) and recommend normal MIDI connections, but that's out of the question for me and my console.

However, I'm very pleased to see the development of GrandOrgue and I'm looking forward to the Linux version of it!

Kind regards

L.Palo

Postby L.Palo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi again!

After downloading the HW3 release, edited the .organ file to make it work in GrandOrgue, I've edited a few notes of the updated sampleset like Graham instructed it works nicely. But then I suddenly realized that the samples are in mono. The HW1 release of jeux2 was in stereo. I guess there are some thoughts about this, but I'd love to hear a little more about the reasons for going to mono.

Kind regards

Lars

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi Lars,
HW3 allows one to virtually pan a mono sample set around a stereo space through settings within the CODM, so while it is all in testing it is easier to keep the samples mono. There are two other reason 1) the original recording was in mono, 2) it's easier to loop in mono and then convert to stereo. For the final release of the HW3 version and the GrandOrgue version the waves will be stereo. 8-)
GrahamG

L.Palo

Postby L.Palo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Ok! I'm just interested to know... Is it of any use if I make the corrections to the mono files I think is necessary both in releases, loops and tuning and then gives you the diffenting ones as a patch?

Kind regards

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:58 pm

I've retuned almost all of the G.O. (just the Cornet still to do) but none of the Pedale or Positif, so please send those. If you have redone loops and releases please send those too. You can upload a compressed file to www.sendspace.com and send me an email with the link. Thanks!
GrahamG

L.Palo

Postby L.Palo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Good! I'll start right away with the work. I have already made a list of what is needed to correct, but of course it will take some time to do.

Kind regards

Lars

L.Palo

Postby L.Palo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:50 am

Another maybe stupid question is that about the tuning methology... Do you want every note to be retuned to equal temperament at a certain key frequenzy (like a1 = 440) or should we keep as much of the original tuning as possible and only correct bad notes by matching to others that are good? I would personally vote for the second as it keeps more of the original samples intact, but I'm interested to know your approach so I can match it...

It's like the difference between tuning a piano and tuning the reeds of an organ, if you get my point.

Kind regards

Lars

ggoode_sa

Postby ggoode_sa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:07 am

Hi Lars,
We're tuning to A=440 equal temperament, and as the samples are rather small, I have recorded each note played through HW/GrandOrgue so that I get a long recording of the looped section. I then tune the sample to make the loop section 'in tune'. I'm doing this in Windows with TuneIt! and an automatic sampling program that plays the MIDI note and records it (Samplit)...
GrahamG

L.Palo

Postby L.Palo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:16 am

Well, the easiest way for me to tune the samples then would be to have one stop that you're happy with (i.e. Montre 8) and play that in GrandOrgue on one computer and then match the Pos and Ped samples to that in another computer. I'm very used to tuning acoustic instruments, but I imagine that I'll be able to do it in the computer also...

What do you think about that? Is the Montre 8 stop from the HW3 sample reliable or have you changed it a lot since the test release?

Kind regards

Lars

Return to “General discussion”